2G and 3G Shutdown

I agree. It needs lots of hardware and lots of optimisation actions.

1 Like

Not only OPEX point of view, re-farming is the biggest win here, also 2G is already is been used as IOT technology without noticing as many advantages over link budget and low power consumption on UE end. So keeping 2G is still worth than 3G.

What is weird for me is that 3G is empty (and has 2-3 layers of 3G) while 4G is congested in many places.
Don’t know why MNOs don’t balance PS data between RATs.

On 3G we have more spectrum than 2G.

Market share.
MNOs want to show that most customer are on 4G.
Also in some countries there are obligations from authorities as well.

This is somehow not OK.
I think it is better to have 30 Mbpsec in 3G then 10 Mbpsec in 4G due to congestion.
Whenever 4G acts slow I just lock my phone in 3G and it works really fast.

Totally agree with you.
But in most cases MNOs use 3G only when 4G is not good or CSFB.
Cannot remember if we ever used InterRAT load balancing.
That might be the answer.

There are 4G cells with 40-60 concurrent users at busy hours.

Your 3G might be very good.
3G here is good for nothing.

What about 2G, it is already gone (too) or just 3G?

3G is good as long as is not used.
There are no interRAT load balancing policies in place so 3G is used just for CSFB and old phones only.

2G is here to stay for good.
You can’t imagine how many ATMs & POS are on 2G.

True, Inter RAT balancing is hardly used as usually operators don’t prefer users going to 3G any way.
But sometimes 3G throughput is better than 4G.

Correct 100%, I share the same opinion.

Can not shutdown two voice supporting technologies at once, think about social responsibilities of telecom, emegecy calls, basic connectivity…

Yes, these are IoT use cases to be honest.

Not very soon.

After several delays, Verizon has cemented the date of its 3G sunset. Experts share advice for upgrading security customers.

There is no reason to keep WCDMA running except dependency of some legacy handsets.

This case is not a normal one.
This country is under sanctions so they can not grow their network or modernize it!
On the other hand the difference between their money value and $ will make issue for users to upgrade their devices; so you can not expect increase of lte support UE penetration.